What’s in a name?

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum What’s in a name?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Luv2stitch2

Did you know several solid families are already available as a variegated?

Bitterness = From the Bitter Bloom family, specifically #4449 & #4451

Conchousness = Conch Horn family
      Enchantress = Enchanter Rose family
      Ethereal Ice = Ethereal Blue family
      Fagale-cious = Fagales family
      Fagales Chocolate = Fagales family
      Fish Pepper-ica = Fish Pepper family
      Gandy Tango = Gandy Dancer family
      Haystack = Haywains family
      Huckleberry = Winterberry family
      Imperialosity = Imperial Green family
      Kail Slaw = Kail family
      Kodiakery = Kodiak family
      Luteous-ness = Luteous Green family

The list goes on… But I’ll let you have fun discovering the others. 🤓

Don’t see a family twisted? Or perhaps you’d prefer a lighter, darker, more variegated, less variegated combo? Find a solid family on my media page, choose your numbers and post the call (with the family & numbers) in the call forum. That’s all you really need to create your own twist! (Someone who has the solid skeins may come along and post a photo if time permits.)

Don’t be skeeeeered! 😜😜😜

~B
      (Obviously had too much coffee this morning…)

Stitcher Vix
      Participant

Great point!

I have enjoyed using many of those on your list.

RobininVirginia
      Participant

Thanks for sharing your list of twisted families, @luv2stitch2 . As I was playing with my threads yesterday, it brought back board conversations of assorted threads, color playing and twist making.

Sim Swank
      Participant

I love names!

Jcash
      Participant

Fabulous Names. Being a total Newbie I had zero idea there were already called for twists. Several were already on my list, just without colors choices picked yet. Lovely to know all the work has been done for me!! Thanks @luv2stitch2!

Luv2stitch2

@jcash

Vikki has quite the imagination when it comes to naming. I still tumble over spelling CHRYSOCOLLA correctly!!

lyarrow
      Participant

my next color to use on Mary Wigham is Woad Blue so I had to look up Woad. “a yellow-flowered European plant of the cabbage family. It was formerly grown as a source of blue dye, which was extracted from the leaves after they had been dried, powdered, and fermented.” It’s a lovely blue series!

Jcash
      Participant

@lyarrow…. dying with real woad Blue is soo fun but very VERY touchy. It’s a dye that can’t be disturbed!! Isn’t that odd. You have it in the bucket and you have to lower your piece down without disturbing any of the dye (gunk?) at the bottom, barely breaking the surface tension. It’s wild. Then you can’t stir it and after it sits the time needed, you carefully raise your piece out, trying not to let drops hit the surface by holding a plate under it and then put it in a bucket with rinse water.

It’s fun… but nerve wracking for the first time. AND… it’s green when it comes out!! The air turns it blue!

I made a tote bag my first time just dipping it half way down. I have done it 3 times at a retreat I used to go to in Vermont

lyarrow
      Participant

@jcash Fascinating! Do you have pics to share of any of your projects?

Jcash
      Participant

@lyarrow…. took me a bit to post this but here ya go!!

I held it upside down and put it into the dye about half way down the tote part. Where you can see the solid blue stop. The dye crept up a bit while dying.
      Then once I had let it go enough I took it out, rinseD once and hung it on a tree branch the right way up and the dye kept creeping down the bag as it dried!! I love it!!

Forgive my hanging spot. The shelf and hook in the laundry room going out the garage door. Jackets, gloves and now face masks!!
      Woad dyed tote

lyarrow
      Participant

@jcash What a cool effect and eye catching bag! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Veena

I love that effect you got!

RobininVirginia
      Participant

It looks incredible! What a fabulous effect!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.