So…. has anyone actually stitched Growth Rings, by Ink Circles?

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum So…. has anyone actually stitched Growth Rings, by Ink Circles?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      CristinG
      Participant

Several days ago, we were talking about Growth Rings because it calls for 2 HDF colors. I have the silks and the original pattern from the magazine (with all of the errors). Has anyone actually stitched it and were the errors easy to spot and correct?

skrieser
      Participant

I started it this month. I just noted the errata on my working copy before I got started.

MoDineen
      Participant

Yes, I did it in HDF but not the called for colors. Just like skrieser, I simply marked the corrections on my working copy.

CristinG
      Participant

Thanks for the replies!

lynne s
      Participant

I stitched it after she came out with the new corrected pattern. I tried correcting the magazine chart but that was no fun. lol Still one of my favorite pieces – stitched with HDF but not the called for colors.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

That was a lovely piece. She picked two colors I thought would be terrible together, but they were just right.

Vikki

CristinG
      Participant

I love it when an unexpected combination just works….

Susan Mary Urban
      Participant

The Growth Rings pattern is not clear to me. Under Materials, it states “Two skeins each Hand Dyed Fibers silk embroidery floss**”. Below the **, it states “**Six skeins required”. How many minis or micros do I need to order of Exemplar Flannel? The fabric listed is 32 ct. The instructions indicate one thread over two on 32 count. Thank you for your help.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I always did 8.7 yard skeins – well, for so many years, any years that there would have ever been a pattern made for it!!
      Did she convert it to someone else that has less yards per skein?

Vikki

Susan Mary Urban
      Participant

Vikki, I don’t think she converted but I attached the pattern legend. Do I order two or six micros of the Exampler Flannel? Susan

Susan Mary Urban
      Participant

Try again with the photo

Attachments:
      Veena

Hi Susan,

Tracy made a detailed blog post couple of years ago about choosing alternative threads (as HDF had not reopened then). Here is the link.

Floss required for Growth Rings

She says the model was stitched with premium HDF, which is equivalent to 2 strands of regular HDF.

From the table in the linked blog post, if you are stitching with 2 strands on 32ct fabric, you would need 53 yards of 6-stranded floss for the dark color, and 15 yards of 6-stranded for the light color.

One mini in 6SR is 25 yards.
      One micro in 6SR is 8.7 yards (same as DMC skein).

So, 2 minis of Ex Flannel Dark (she has included an 10 to 15% “fudge factor” in her calculations, so I am guessing 50 yards might be enough if you are careful).

2 micros of Yawning Mountain.

Veena

Btw, in her blog post she does say that the magazine version of the chart has some errors. There is a link in her post to download the corrections.

Susan Mary Urban
      Participant

Veena,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the history. Amazing how one pattern can have so much history and details. I did find the errata sheet on the Ink Circles site. I ordered two minis of Yawning Mountain when it was recently called a couple of months ago. I will call the Flannel.

Again, thank you.

Susan

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Thank you Veena!! I thought 1 over 2 on 32 count sounded very light, so glad to know it was premium. That makes SO much more sense!!

Vikki
      always happy someone is keeping track!

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I’m going to also put this one up on the site as a regular product.
      It’s then 3 mini’s Flannel Dark and 2 mini’s Yawning Mountain?

Vikki

Susan Mary Urban
      Participant

Still new to HDF so I want to clarify. Veena mentioned the original pattern was with the premium HDF which is equivalent to two strands of regular HDF. Since we are not ordering premium HDF, do we need to increase the number of minis? Will this be true for all other older patterns? Thanks, Susan

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Veena says:
      From the table in the linked blog post, if you are stitching with 2 strands on 32ct fabric, you would need 53 yards of 6-stranded floss for the dark color, and 15 yards of 6-stranded for the light color.

So no – the 3 minis and the 2 minis will work.
      I never saw any other pattern charted for the premium.

Vikki

CristinG
        Participant

I noticed today when I went to double check the floss requirements (to make sure I have enough) that Tracey has updated the catalog to say HDF is dying again and I thought that was nice….

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Tracey is always so kind. I ought to get that assortment up sooner rather than later.

Vikki

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.