Opinions needed

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Opinions needed

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      skrieser
      Participant

I’ve pulled some HDF fabric from my stash for my next #outofthestashatlast start and can’t decide which one I like better.

The darker colors look good on either but the Haywains 4123 and Lilac Mist 2131 are light enough I thought I’d ask for opinions.

Fabric on the left is 40ct light coffee and on the right is 40ct Peach Butter.

Thoughts?

Jcash
      Participant

Okay…. I’m only seeing the chart picture.

@skrieser

skrieser
      Participant

Shoot! Floss toss here

lyarrow
      Participant

I know lighting makes a difference but they seem to show up more on the fabric on the right (peach butter)

Jcash
      Participant

Here’s a trick that I got from another IG follower. It has saved me loads of work and decision a bunch of times. Best described in a photo… but until you stitch the x’s you really have trouble telling the color impact.
      Do a quick test with each color in blocks…
      One

Jcash
      Participant

And because my pics are too big???

Or in lines
      Two

I usually can’t tell the difference without seeing the color in stitches, so this helps me.

skrieser
      Participant

Thanks ladies! I’ll give this a try this weekend

Veena

What colors would be surrounding the Haywains and Lilac Mist? They might not show up well on their own, but if there is darker stitching around them, then they will get highlighted. From the pattern it seems as though most of the light colors have darker colors around them.

I love Vikki’s light coffee and peach butter linen! Hold on tight to the peach butter because she won’t be able to reproduce it.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I’m not going to buy fabric again so when this is all gone it’s gone. I have a roll left of most all of it so it’s not imminent but it does sell steady.

Vikki

lyarrow
      Participant

I received the 40 ct yesterday and really like it! It’s more substantial than I anticipated so I will be adding more of that some time.

ggggaea
        Participant

When you say substantial do you mean more thick than usual?

ggggaea
      Participant

Great tip Judy

skrieser
      Participant

Veena say it isn’t so!

I have a yard each of several colors dyed through the mini forum in the time before.

I did some test stitching for Peace and am leaning towards the light coffee right now but i may go dig around in my stash some more to see what else is there

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by skrieser.
      skrieser
      Participant

I think I’ve found my fabric. This is HDF 40ct Bird Feathers

skrieser
      Participant

Not sure what I’m doing wrong with some of my pictures since I tried to post a screenshot.

Let’s see of this one works.

lyarrow
      Participant

@ggggaea the picture that Vikki loaded shows that it is more “open weave” than the other fabrics so I was pleasantly surprised to find it had more density to it than I anticipated. Good weight, supple. I like it!

skrieser
      Participant

I think I’ve finally got it small enough

Veena

Wow @skrieser, that looks gorgeous!! Is this the new linen from the cart or from back in the day?

Veena

@lyarrow, the “open weave” 40ct (or what we called the newer 40ct back in the day) has really grown on me over time. It is easier to see and I love the antique sampler look it brings. I am saving the pieces in my stash for reproduction samplers.

And I have a confession: I didn’t like it initially. So much so that I tore off a piece (with my bare hands!!) to use as liner while proofing my sourdough loaves (I read somewhere that dough does not stick to linen). 😱😱

lyarrow
      Participant

@veena In the “olden” days, I bought a fair amount of the 36/40 ct after I learned that most of the reproduction samplers were stitched on uneven linens. It added more authenticity for me. And I have added the 38/42 recently. Trying to stock up a little at a time so that I’m well stocked when I retire. And now I need to add more of the 40 ct.

skrieser
      Participant

@veena this is from back in the day. I think it was another one that had gone through the mini forum

Luv2stitch2

{{{And I have a confession: I didn’t like it initially. So much so that I tore off a piece (with my bare hands!!) to use as liner while proofing my sourdough loaves (I read somewhere that dough does not stick to linen). 😱}}}

@veena

HAHAHAHAHA No way! So, does it stick or not?

@skrieser

Bird Feathers is lovely, hope to see a WIP soon!

skrieser
      Participant

Insert sad face here. I started Peace on my 40ct Bird Feathers which turns out to be 36ct. 🙁

I’ve got another big piece that is labeled as 40ct and I added Navy Bean. Not sure if Vikki had another name for it or not. I think this was her equivalent to Lakeside Navy Bean

Veena

@luv2stitch2, linen is the best material to proof dough. Not even a smidgen of sticks to it.

Veena

Oh no, @skrieser! How did that happen? Did you mislabel the linen?

skrieser
      Participant

@veena sadly no, it still had Vikki’s tags on it. When I started stitching my stitches looked too high so I checked. If the finish wasn’t going to be so big and need most of the linen I wouldn’t have worried.

I spend a good part of my evening digging through linen and checking it for count, labeled or not. Ive got another couple of big pieces that come out at 36ct. I did find what I think is under HDF that is 40ct though so I restarted and got a length of silk put in before bed.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I am so so sorry that happened Sarah! We went back and looked at that last roll of 40 ct to see what happened, because essentially I’m dyeing fabric to order and we just opened that last roll.

Sure enough it’s actually an unevenweave at 36/40. I’ve changed the designation in the cart and when you order again would be happy to send you another larger piece of that Bird Feathers if you just remind me in Comments.

Vikki

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by VikkiHDF.
      skrieser
      Participant

Vikki, this isn’t a recent order of linen. Ive had it since it went through the old mini forums.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

OH! Even worse! But it did lead us to look at this roll of 40 ct linen.

Vikki

Jcash
      Participant

Here’s a trick that I got from another IG follower. It has saved me loads of work and decision a bunch of times. Best described in a photo… but until you stitch the x’s you really have trouble telling the color impact.
      Do a quick test with each color in blocks…
      One

Or in lines
      Two

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.