Off Topic – An even bigger Ack and Ugh and Blast It!

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Off Topic – An even bigger Ack and Ugh and Blast It!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      lyarrow
      Participant

Got mail today informing me that my unemployment benefits were being processed. And I never submitted a claim because I continued to work through Covid. So that means my social security number has been compromised. I have notified the department of labor. Now I have to inform the credit reporting agencies, my banks, credit card companies, Social Security Administration, the IRS, and the Federal Trade Commission. Yep, life continues to be good but someone just made me very irritated!

RobininVirginia
      Participant

Oh Linda, I am sorry that this has happened to you. You should also file a police report to have it on record that your information has been compromised.

lyarrow
      Participant

thank you Robin, will do!

Jcash
      Participant

Oh crap… although those would NOT be the words I used to vent. 🙂🤬 I am sooo sorry!!
      You will likely need to file for a new SSN now as you have no idea where or how many times its been passed around or stolen. I swear thieves just keep getting better and stupider.

I’m shocked that these idiots don’t realize that the IRS has your number… THAT number assigned to you with your address! Like d’uh.. don’t you think they will send the info to the rightful person?? Idiots. I do not envy remembering every place that has to be notified and info changes or guarded. Yikes!

lyarrow
      Participant

@jcash I don’t get it either….how they think this will work! My employer also received a letter today verifying I was no longer employed with them and they obviously reported it as fraud also. Someone told me that last year, Kansas had 7 fraudulent unemployment cases and this year, they are at 45,000+.

Veena

What a pain! Hope you are able to address and resolve the matter without too much time and effort.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Apparently it’s rampant so while no consolation…..

Vikki

lyarrow
      Participant

the reports took less time than I anticipated so that was a silver lining! The first credit agency automatically sends the report to the other two. When I filed a report with FTC, they automatically file it with the IRS. And my credit card companies gave me a choice on whether to close the cards. Since there has been no activity on the cards, I chose to keep them open and will be checking activity multiple times daily for awhile.

The event created an urge to stitch with silks and eat chocolate. The only chocolate I could find was chocolate icing. Being a dietitian, I limited myself to 2 tablespoons, lol, but it was enough to release the endorphins. And I do not have to limit myself on the silks so……..I will spend the evening stitching! 🙂

Jcash
      Participant

What a pain but glad the reporting didn’t take as long or be as difficult as I imagined. I hope that is not because it has gotten so rampant as Vikki says.
      It’s that extra money. $600 extra a week is just too much for them to pass up. I thought it was per month/ but hubby said no.. it’s per week!! $2400 is too much to blow it off I guess.

PS: I keep 2 things always. Plain Hershey bar milk chocolate and a small bag of individually wrapped Rolo’s. Choc and caramel…. 🥰

ggggaea
      Participant

I’m sorry you have to deal with this and great you’re on top of it so quickly, not to mention a perfect plan of attack!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.