Mini storage…

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Mini storage…

Tagged: 

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Lisa
      Participant

So newbie here. How do you store your mini spools? I have no idea how to store these spools. No other thread I have comes on spools. Looking for ideas here so please help! 🤣

CristinG
      Participant

I can’t find a picture right now, however, I have ArtBin brand clear boxes for mine. They made one that had several built in compartments and is slim.

Jcash
      Participant

I already had this box so I used it’s but it definitely not ideal. Too big = wasted space.

Storage

You can use layers but that kills the prettiness of SEEING all the colors. So I’m using what @veena uses from Joann’s. I ordered 14! 😂

****ArtBin Solutions Box 4 48 Compartments.***
      A picture of her organized stash is on the FB group! PS: I got 20% off so look for a coupon on their site!!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Jcash.
      Luv2stitch2

In order to get a handle on my inventory I recently switched to snack bags & photo boxes. Not only do they hold micros & minis but also the various “put-ups” (Vikki’s term) in HDF’s history prior to the discovery of spools. (stapled skein, small hang tag, large hang tag, cigar bands)

OVERKILL?? (lol) You bet’cha…but here goes…

Boxes:

These are just the SOLIDS in reglar! (To do: Premium, and looking for volunteers… haha)

boxes

Inside:

Labeled snack bags, in alphabetical order with dividers.
      Each bag holds 6SR AND SSR in various “put-ups” (stapled skeins, small hang tag skeins, large hang tag skeins, cigar band skeins, micros and minis.) One color per bag.

inside

Contents of snack bag:

Index card is for stability AND notes. (Such as, if a micro/mini was pulled for a project and what project. Ever pull a color and wonder what WIP it’s hiding with???)

(Also – size reference of mini vs micro)

bag

Luv2stitch2

@cristing @jcash That’s what I call candy in a box! So pretty & grab ‘n go. WOOT! WOOT!

Jcash
      Participant

Wow!!! @luv2stitch2 that is quite the system and what a collection.

I hope I can get all the colors before Vikki decides to pack it in and go wandering again. Maybe I can pay her to give me a 1-2 month notice and order everything to fill my holes.
      Who am I kidding. I’m a total newbie so all I have are holes!! 😁😉😢

Sim Swank
      Participant

(To do: Premium, and looking for volunteers… haha) <— @luv2stitch2 Pick meeeeeee! lol

I use Ziploc snack baggies with an index card insert but in clear Sterilite bins that stack and snap together. I line the bins with the bumpy drawer liners to help keep the baggies upright. It’s not the prettiest but it works.

Attachments:
      Luv2stitch2

@sims I’d need to frisk you upon leaving… 😂😂😂😂😂

Sim Swank
      Participant

@luv2stitch2 It would probably be wise to do so…haha

RobininVirginia
      Participant

I love seeing the storage options everyone is using. @sims how many of those Sterilite carriers to you have for your Vikki silks?

And @luv2stitch2 I don’t think yours is overkill. I think you should host an premium organization party for those (me please) who wish to help you out.

Sim Swank
      Participant

@RobininVirginia Not enough…lol. I only have 3 right now, I was in denial when I bought them. haha

RobininVirginia
      Participant

@sims I would love to see a picture of your three. Please share!

Jcash
      Participant

Yes @sim-swank Pictures!!! Sounds great!

These arrived yesterday…. I was not in denial Jill!

@veena
      ’s method of storage.
      Storage

Luv2stitch2

@jcash

Better hide from @veena!
      How many are filled? 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣

LOVE seeing what everyone’s doing!

Veena

All this talk about Artbin is killing me. During our transcontinental move in 2018, I dumped all my solids into ziploc bags for the move, thinking I could always buy plastic boxes in my new place. Well, there are plastic boxes here alright – they are ugly, flimsy, and cost 3x more than Artbins. I am still kicking myself. Next trip to the US, I am going to Jo-Anns and sweeping out their Artbin shelves.

Luv2stitch2

@veena

Want to borrow the pickup? ROFL

Jcash
      Participant

@veena … I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize you didn’t have you boxes now. If I could send to you I would definitely do so!!

I got these from JoAnn.com. Never went near the store. Maybe ask if they will ship to Quatar??? (Spelling?) I’m guessing they are wondering why all those Art bins are flying off the shelves!

Veena

@jcash, I am in Iceland. On top of shipping costs, it would cost custom duties, and the PO slaps additional “handling” fees for incoming international packages (plus fees to deliver it to your place, else you go pick it up). I didn’t realize how good USPS is until I left the country. Locals here joke that it is cheaper to fly to the US and shop in person than order online from abroad!

Jcash
      Participant

Oh shoot, sorry…that’s right @veena got you mixed up with ??? Can’t remember now. Hubby wanted to move to Iceland for a while because it’s so pretty, but we’ll stick with a visit instead. Those prices would kill me!!

Well as popular as they are I think they will make them for a while. IF it ever looks like they’ll stop you yell and I’ll buy as many as you want and store them here for you!! 😍

RobininVirginia
      Participant

@jcash what is the model number or name of the Artbin containers you pictured? Thanks!

ggggaea
      Participant

@veena How did you end up in Iceland? That must be so beautiful! Maybe no Artbins, but a thread supply to last you many winters!!

Jcash
      Participant

@robininvirginia

ArtBin Solutions Box 4 48 Compartments Translucent

Joann.com. Hope that helps!! Let me try a link… YAY IT WORKED!!! Plus they are 25% off today $9.99/$6.99 so deal!!

https://www.joann.com/artbin-solutions-box-4-48-compartments/3457447.html

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Jcash.
      RobininVirginia
      Participant

Thank you @jcash ! I will look for them the next time I get to Joanns.

Veena

Aww, @jcash – thank you so much! Hopefully they will continue to be produced for a long time. Have fun organizing your minis in those boxes.

@ggggaea
      – we had been visiting every year for the last 12 years or so; liked it so much that we decided to move here for while.

CristinG
      Participant

This is what I use for my minis….

CristinG
      Participant

And….of course now that I want more of these, they are hard to find and cost *way* more than when I bought mine.

Margo58
      Participant

I store mine alphabetically in Floss Away bags, and store the bags in those cheap plastic shoe boxes with lids. The bags fit nicely, and if the box is fairly full, the bags stand up reasonably well, so index cards are not necessary. This takes up a lot of space, but it is easy to find specific colors.

I store my spools of special no-name twists and silks from D-bags in Art Bin containers.

Sue
      Participant

I use Artbin as well, but I use the Prism 6 compartment box for my mini’s. I’m still low tech, so no phone and I’m not dragging out the camera to take a photo of my mini’s (yet).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Sue.
      Sim Swank
      Participant

All the talk about Artbin made me look them up and now I’m considering these 2 made specifically for bobbins. Has anyone tried them? Are they big enough for minis?

infinite_needle
      Participant

You got her mixed up with me. We also face similar mail issues here in Qatar. Actually it’s probably worse as we finally received actual addresses this past year.

Veena

@sims, I had considered those bobbin boxes back in the day and decided against them because the dividers are fixed, I like having the flexibility to adjust the compartments. I prefer these instead and use them for all my variegated floss.

Artbin Small Box

It is perfect for minis as they fit to size and do not roll around.

I also tried the Prism 6-compartment box that Sue mentioned above. It is a different material than the other boxes I use – more see-through. I use it to store my SSF collection.

Veena

Fortunately, I wasn’t a complete moron because I kept the smaller Artbin boxes and moved them with me. So my variegated HDF is properly stored even now.

Sim Swank
      Participant

Ooh, thanks for the pix @Veena — very helpful! Decisions, decisions…

RobininVirginia
      Participant

I like the box that @veena has her examplars in. Maybe that is what I will get for the Rubbed colors. So many ways to organize! Too many choices!

lyarrow
      Participant

I have 12 wooden DMC display cabinets that I bought from a store closing about 20 years ago. They hold all my non-HDF floss and fabric. I need to reorganize and get my HDF in them.

Sim Swank
      Participant

@robininvirginia @jcash Sorry it took forever for my storage pix…told you it’s a mess.

RobininVirginia
      Participant

Thanks for sharing your storage system, @sims ! It looks super to me. Will you go with more of that style or something different for all the new stuff?

Jcash
      Participant

Thanks for the pictures @sim-swank. Looks perfect to me!!

I switched all my reds over to the new flat boxes last weekend and of course I a bit SAD though. While I think once my collection gets bigger, it will be great. But I miss the boxes snapping together. Picking up that handle and carrying away an easy 8 boxes snapped together is quite a cool thing!! But so much wasted space. These are so much bigger BUT will take up Way more space in a closet or in a shelf.

Jcash
      Participant

@sim-swank… see if you can hit up a store first to check sizing. The boxes I GOT were not the ones I ordered. I only have 10 compartments, not 12; but with the same dimensions. So no biggie, but I’d see in person or check out your local store. Michael’s or Joann’s should have them. 😄

Veena

Oh @jcash, how annoying that they sent the wrong boxes. When I saw your photo I did think that they looked different (bigger) from mine. Was there a label on it?

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.