Kit Conversions and the DMC color card

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Kit Conversions and the DMC color card

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I love the idea of the kit conversions, as I’ve said in another post. It’s everything I love about dyeing and eliminating everything I hated about the business (mostly the horrendous labor that comes with a HUGE inventory).
      That said – I got the new DMC color card. And you say So? And I say But I vowed that when I started this up, I would never go hungry again – no, no. Wrong movie. I vowed that I would adhere to the color card much more closely. Which seems prefect for conversions cause right? Indeed.
      Except the new card is SO DIFFERENT than the old card! You’d think they’re DMC, there wouldn’t be all this difference. They’ve been dyeing with these dyes for literally 40 years or so since they reformulated.
      Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon on the Quinces. For decades the Quinces have actually been two different colors (and two different dye recipes, splitting at 3722). Now they’re one totally different dye recipe and what’s up with 3722? It’s now part of the series instead of whatever weirdness it was before, not to mention a totally different color. I’ll even tell you a dye secret – the Quinces used to be Phlox with some yellow and some green, now they’re Gandy Dancer with Kodiak. WHAT?!?!? My brain fried yesterday afternoon.
      Steelies. Magpie Tears. They used to be grey, now they’re blue. This happens everywhere on the entire card, color after color. And they aren’t just a little different where you can just tweak the dye – they’re totally different colors and every recipe is starting from scratch.
      So I’m slogging through these conversions. And I know after I get a color I’ll have the color. I changed my dye mix method to weighing the dye out in grams (and micrograms) to have more consistent dye mixtures which has been very effective in reproducibility so I won’t have to do each color more than once. And in honesty the sampler world doesn’t use that many colors. So I’ll only have to do this not 200 times. And DMC set up the color card in a more dye oriented order – they moved color families to be more in line with their base color which at least gives me a hint what their base start color was.
      But for right now it’s a lot of time to get each recipe – and out of the 30 for Anna Sophia I’m not even half way. After we get over the initial hump it should go much faster. I don’t want to disappoint anyone because it IS so slow but I want you to know why it’s not done already.

Vikki
      who will so totally keep you up to date on this!

Veena

It is always so fascinating to hear about your process! Thank you for the update. I have not bought any kits but I loved reading this. Perhaps one of us can write to DMC and ask what’s up??!! It’s one thing to rearrange the color card, but a whole another to change colors carrying the same number. I have seen some posts here and there on social media about old and new DMC skeins with the same number being totally different. 3722 wasn’t one of them. I wish they would at least put these things on their website so stitchers know what to expect.

lyarrow
      Participant

So….I did enjoy reading about the process, it’s educational! And I admire your dedication to being true to the colors and the quality. But when I got to the end, my first thought was, “does that first sentence still hold true?” It’s good to have a challenge but not to the point that it takes away the joy! So even though it’s a slow process and a lot of work, I am hoping you are still enjoying the process. 🙂 “You have no regrets? Like, not even a single (color)?” no no….wrong movie!

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

DMC old book, new book Quinces. Just look at 3722!!!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by VikkiHDF.
      lyarrow
      Participant

I posted this in Veena’s post also, but the older book appears to have an error. Skein on the left is 15 years old and one on right about 30 years old

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Crazy. I did manage to track this down to the 2004 DMC color card book.

Still tons of fun. Most of the colors aren’t that struggle thank goodness.

Vikki

maestraxanth
      Participant

I don’t care how long it takes to get the conversion dyed. I feel confident knowing Vikki is working her special magic (and that it’s kinda fun!) and in the end, I will have unique, beautiful, hand dyed silks worthy of hundreds of hours of my time!

RobininVirginia
      Participant

I enjoyed reading Vikki’s narrative about the colors and the dyeing process. I think I would have paid more attention if Vikki had been teaching my chemistry class instead of the very boring instructor I had who expected us all to be at his level of functioning.

Jcash
      Participant

Wow! Those color differences from old to new are WILD!!! Looks like they made 3722 the new 224 w/o the pink…Old 224 & 225 are out and 152 stayed the same…ish

I will say that seeing the old card makes me really LOVE the new card set up and color ranges. So many in each range of new colors!

I had wondered about Steelies when I saw the HATS conversion of Ann Uffindell to DMC. I didn’t see the pretty blues. I have the kit of Soie D’alger for Ann. I was a bit worried the Grey greenish Steelies would give the same effect…. but if they are skewing blue that’s PERFECT!!

Jcash
      Participant

I’m was looking to see what year your booklet was from….2004! Wow that’s an old one. I checked mine and I think someone goofed on your version. Here are my 3 versions:

3722a

Heidi Eskeli
      Participant

Is there a conversion table from DMC to HDF. I used to have one but that was two moves ago and I’ll be darned if I can find it.

Sim Swank
      Participant

@needleme Here you go.

Attachments:
        Heidi Eskeli
        Participant

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Btw, thank you!

Sue
      Participant

I hear you re: the color changes and crazies! One of my favorite color lines was the Magpies when it was grey. Now it’s blueish and I’m sad. I also wish for the days where 315/316 were not so purple pink! I really loved them when they were the more antique pink colors. Darn chemical compositions and reformulating!

(and don’t even get me going on the DMC red’s and the 413/415 grays or the 500’s or 520 greens)

VikkiHDF
        Keymaster

EXACTLY! OMG I thought I was going NUTS!!! The Magpie is so blue now, and 315/316?? What the ever loving heck is THAT about?? The 500 520 greens are kicking my butt all over the place cause what HAPPENED?!??!?!
        I thought it was me. I thought it was my old color card. I thought – I didn’t know! – all my scans denigrated over the years?? Nothing made any sense so I’m so glad you said this. Honestly.

Vikki

Samplerstitcher
      Participant

I have older cards, 2000 and 2002.
      They seem fine in terms of colour shading.

Gina

Jcash
      Participant

OMG, so funny you said this!! I spent hours today looking for an HDF color to match my variegated color I needed it in the 520-524 or 3051/52/53 range. Those are my fav sampler greens… the gray-greens!!

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Mine too – oh mine too!

Vikki

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.