How did the shut-down impact your stitching?

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum How did the shut-down impact your stitching?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      lyarrow
      Participant

The timing for renewing the dyeing is perfect! The shut-down reignited my passion (addiction?) for stitching and I have seen the same thing said by many, many, others! A year ago, I was working 50 hrs/week and finishing 1 or 2 projects a year. This year, I already have 8 finishes. I was also spending a fair amount of money on gas and take-out food. The money I have saved by working at home and cooking in-home has mostly gone into savings, but some is supporting my new found passion for x-stitch. It’s been a wonderful investment in my mental health!

RobininVirginia
      Participant

My spending has increased because I spend more time on the computer reading blogs and viewing Instagram. The positive is discovering the return of Vikki and her threads. The negative has been no monthly stitch group, retreats being canceled right and left, and weekend getaways/gatherings being postponed then canceled.

lyarrow
      Participant

Robin, so sorry about the monthly stitch groups! I wasn’t involved in any of those because we don’t have any in this area. I did find a Kansas Stitchers FB group and they were going to meet in Manhattan in May (40 miles from me) so I was looking forward to that. I’ve also never been to a stitching retreat. Our family has still gotten together with grandparents/cousins, on a fairly regular basis so that has been nice for everyone.

hkl9066
      Participant

The shut down has greatly increased my stitching time as the shift to teleworking has changed my work hours so that I can stay up much later in the evening. Also it has cut out my commute, giving me more free time.

Like you @lyarrow I have had more finishes this year already than in years past. I feel like I am steadily making my way through my WIP pile. Stitching has also been a huge form of therapy through these uncertain and difficult times (I’m medically high-risk and am not supposed to leave the house).

@robininvirginia
      I too miss my guild meetings. Which group do you belong to? The Loudoun Sampler Guild has started monthly Zoom meetings, which has been nice as I’ve certainly missed those meetings.

But overall, yes, Vikki’s timing has been great. Doing more stitching and yes, spending less money since we don’t go out, aren’t spending on gas, and other things, means that it is perfect time to supplement my mini collection!

Veena

Here in Iceland, the lockdown didn’t last quite as long as other places. I worked from home for 2 months but now we are back in our offices. I have been stitching more since I moved here anyway, so lockdown didn’t affect my stitching per se. But for some reason I feel an urgency that I didn’t feel before – to start and finish things, use my stash, stitch everyday even if it is just 1-2 strands…

infinite_needle
      Participant

I haven’t been impacted stitching wise since I am disabled and no longer work. Nor have I had any issues with Stitchy supply shortages, for example lack of DMC colors in the stores, because I live in the Middle East and buy my supplies when I travel or pick them up at my parent’s home every two years. (My HDF collection traveled with me in a carry on when I moved overseas.) The only negative consequence is that I haven’t been able to teach any of my embroidery classes because I am unwilling to meet up with people in person.

RobininVirginia
      Participant

@hkl9066 I belong to a local non-guild group; it meets in Culpeper once a month. As you know, things are opening up in VA, the places we meet (meeting rooms at the library or police station) haven’t allowed group to reconvene.

And I meant to include in my original post, my stitching time really hasn’t been impacted by the lock down. I am still stitching every day and most days, 2-3 hours.

lyarrow
      Participant

I let myself get too busy prior to covid-19. I’m now back to my full time job plus a part time job but this summer’s reduced schedule showed me I need to prioritize my time. I’m actually healthier now that stress has been reduced. I’m making sure to control my hours at the part-time job and I’m also saying “no” to requests for additional assistance at the full time job. I’ve also lost weight and am exercising regularly. And making sure I spend time stitching most evenings. I needed a wake-up call! I just wish it could have happened without covid-19.

Jcash
      Participant

Since I haven’t worked since Sept 2001 due to medical retirement my available time to stitch hasn’t changed a bit. Hubby never stopped working since he manages an essential business. Gotta have that asphalt for roads!! Because I’m higher risk, we stayed about 3 ft from each other for the first few months… and I stayed home. Still do. However my anxiety has gone through the roof so I’ve had a hard time keeping my focus on my stitching. It’s meant less actual stitching than I would normally do or want to do.

Buying however hasn’t suffered one bit! 🤣 Vikki coming back to dying (Thanks @sims for the heads up) and all the stitchers working from home and showing all their goodies and starts… the FOMO is strong and I’ve “needed” everything cute!

infinite_needle
      Participant

Vikki dyeing again has been one of the few good things to happen this year.

Luv2stitch2

Interesting topic! 🙂 The shut down didn’t impact me…but the return of HDF has me overjoyed and pinching myself. (I’d dance in the street if I could be sure I wouldn’t get run over. hehehehe)

What glorious news, 2020 needed it!!!!!!!!

Stitcher Vix
      Participant

I have gotten a lot done. I completed an Elizabeth Bradley 12 panel carpet and have worked on a sampler. In many ways, I am enjoying the down time.

Candy
      Participant

I made myself take some time to stitch every day just as some time for myself. Hard to balance 3 kids under 10, hubby and mother with being a referee all day, worry and anxiety that my family (asthma issues and age) could get sick and feeding everyone. I take time every night to stitch and Zoom stitch-ins with my EGA group once or twice a month. I finished Merrily Merrily We Welcome Spring by Blackbird Designs and started on Coming to America – 400th anniversary of the Mayflower voyage. I was enabled yesterday and found this group again after using Vikki’s silks before I had my kids.

lyarrow
      Participant

Welcome Candy, and what is the name of your profile pic? It looks lovely!

Candy
      Participant

A Stitcher’s Companion By Blackbird Designs out of the Honeysuckle Manor book. My stitching group’s Christmas exchange was hornbooks. I attached this piece to a hornbook my hubby made for me. Mystery thread – random untagged in stash.

CristinG
      Participant

I don’t know that it affected my stitching, but it affected my finishing….thank goodness my LNS made it through the 100% closure for several months and is open again. I have taken him 2 pieces to get framed and he is slammed with work right now!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.