Getting ready for a new start!

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Getting ready for a new start!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Veena

I really, really dislike starting new projects. So many fiddly things to get through before you can actually stitch! Choose linen, cut to size, wash it, hand-sew the edges, choose floss, blah blah blah. But I got through it all last night, along with dyeing the fabric, so I am feeling mighty pleased this morning. The fabric turned out exactly the way I wanted it, thanks to Vikki’s expert guidance. Putting in the first stitches tomorrow on the auspicious Hindu festival of Ganesh Chaturthi. Lord Ganesha is the remover of obstacles and Hindus invoke his blessings before starting new ventures. My God of New Starts – lol!

OMG Reds

Veena

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Veena.
      CristinG
      Participant

Veena,
      That looks like a fabulous color combo. I can’t wait to see an updated pic….
      Great time to start a new project too.

Sim Swank
      Participant

Ooh, what are you starting? Awesome job on that fabric!
      I find new starts stressful too, and I don’t even bother to cut my linen to size most times. But when that first stitch is in, all the anxiety melts away.

ggggaea
      Participant

Gorgeous – Looking forward to seeing her!

Jcash
      Participant

Wow! Loving the colors!!!

hkl9066

Gorgeous colors Veena! Can’t wait to see your new start!

Luv2stitch2

How exciting Veena; I’m going to enjoy watching your progress. The “OMG Reds” are going to sing!

lyarrow
      Participant

Can you share the tips for dyeing the fabric? I have some linen I want to try but I have been too chicken since I have never done this. 🙂

Veena

@lyarrow, I was initally quite timid about dyeing too but then I realised if I didn’t like the outcome I can always overdye it. Besides, if you are flexible and creative, you can always find the right pattern for the fabric even if the end result didn’t turn out exactly what you were aiming for. I really enjoy dyeing my own linen now.

I use Procion dyes from Dharma Trading. I bought a few basic colors before we left California for good. They do mail order too. And then there is tea and coffee dyeing too but I have not tried it. I think Michaels and JoAnn carry Rit dyes – again, I have not tried them and cannot comment on them. Fabric painting is another option. First decide what type of dye you want to use – that will help you search for the right video tutorials.

Veena

Veena

@lyarrow, I found the fabric painting tutorial on this blog very useful. I tried it a couple of times before I learned to dye with Dharma dyes.

Fabric painting

Veena

lyarrow
      Participant

thanks Veena. Awhile back I bought some Rit dye (brown and pink) but was afraid I would ruin the small amount of Vikki’s 36/40 that I had remaining. I recently bought the 38/40 so I may start playing around and see what happens.

Jcash
      Participant

@veena @lyarrow
      I can attest to Rit Dyes being pretty great for dyeing. I use the Taupe, Brown and a few muted colors to overdyed colors I get in monthly groups that I’m not thrilled with the colors. I did do quite a bit of mottled dying too with them.

I found the easiest way to get something really colorful was to cover and old table I had in a huge plastic bag… then wet the fabric and plop it right on the bag. It keeps it wet and you can move your color around and get it to blend and merge better because it’s wet. YouTube videos help a TON!! Good luck, have fun, and remember you can alway dunk it in brown if ya hate it!! 😆

Stitcher Vix
      Participant

Veena, I am happy to be able to read your posts again and follow your stitching! You did a fabulous job with your fabric and I love that OMG Red family with it.

Veena

@stitchervix, it is great to see you again too! OMG Reds are my favorite family of reds and I am really excited to be using 5 shades in one piece. I will post my WIP here once I have put in a respectable amount of stitches.

Veena

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.