Colors not on the list

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Colors not on the list

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
      Sim Swank
      Participant

So…what’s the story behind the colors that did not make it into the regular line? Like, this Plum is nice but it’s not an old name for anything as far as I can tell…Is there a master list of ALL the HDF colors ever dyed?

Jcash
      Participant

The Plum is pretty @sims….
      But where can I find that LIST??!

Luv2stitch2

@sims If they are stapled skeins I first look on my discontinued spreadsheet.

Solid – Discontinued Amethyst
      Variegated – Discontinued Blue Violet
      Variegated – Discontinued Plum

Discontinued (or renamed/reformulated) when Vikki changed to the new dyes. (You may run across Dragon Breath & Dragon Breath II)

whew, my brain hurts…. lol

Luv2stitch2

Come on over….we’ll have a “top secret” list party

ROFL

Luv2stitch2

Psst… 180 regular line colors…

We are frantically working to get photo’s of each on my media page for you guys. πŸ™‚

Sim Swank
      Participant

@luv2stitch2 I’m off til Monday, I’m up for this top secret list party! Where do I sign up?

@jcash
      That list is in the Fanatics Files called HDF Checklist.

Jcash
      Participant

@sims … I figured just about 2 seconds after I asked.. D’uh! Got it. Printed it off. Thanks

Sim Swank
      Participant

@luv2stitch2 @veena Follow up question on discontinued colors: Are these discontinued forever due to the dye change or can they be possibly replicated? Just curious, thanks!

Luv2stitch2

yes…
      no….

If they were considered an “old dye” solid there probably is a “new dye” version.

Such as:

All Spice is now Yellow Spice 4167
      Barely There is now Pink Pearl 1211

(SOLIDS ALWAYS HAVE A NAME & NUMBER, VARIEGATED A ONLY A NAME)

As for variegated I do recall a few conversion names, lol.

Bog is now Boggy Marsh
      Alpine was redone. (As Alpine)

If it’s an “old dyes” variegated, check it against the old name/new name list. (See Fanatics) If it’s not there and you’d like to try recreating, this is where FUN of “twisting” comes in to play. See the FAQ “The “Skinny on the Mini” twisting section for further. (See the paragraph that begins “Did you know you may even create your own β€œtwist” using the DMC colors?”)

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Lots of those old colors got renamed into color families when I reformulated.
      When I first started over 22 years ago. I was using the same acid dyes and dye mixes as everyone else. Then some woman washed her stitched piece and it ran and I was mortified. She brings it up every time she sees me anywhere so I’m sure you can find the piece. I did an enormous amount of dye research and decided, though it would be very difficult, to switch over to the Lanaset dyes. They’re incredibly lightfast and colorfast, past any other acid dyes that exist. They’re not only higher rated, but they’re rated at higher temperatures than the acid dyes. And since I was destroying my entire old line to go with an archival quality dye (which no one else does! and anther reason I can do those crazy reds I do) I figured I’d do all the DMC colors in silk. Cause I mean why not? I bought a photo spectrophotometer and started. First I bought only pure dye colors, no mixes of which there are like 13. Then I went about recreating from only those 13 colors. And I wept and tore my hair out and wept some more because….
      You start by shooting the light value of the DMC color, using a LaB scale. Then you start making your dye recipe to recreate that color. Trial and error, over and over till you recreate the dye that makes that color and then when it’s darkened and lightened it continues the family and doesn’t skew one way or the other… LOTS of the DMC color runs are not a single recipe, but are a few of one color and then a few of another. I think they do that to make it more difficult to recreate. But I digress…

And that’s why I can’t do some of those old colors in that exact way. Over the years those dye mixes made by other companies get retired and they get different pures etc etc where my way I’ve never had to worry about being strapped to one dye supplier. Not to mention my dyes are archival (rated to over 100 years) and more lightfast and colorfast than anyone else’s.

Vikki
      who thinks nothing is too good for you!

Sim Swank
      Participant

@VikkiHDF That was the allure of your silks for me (I only found you after you had stopped dyeing), was because you recreated the entire DMC line. Not to mention that I loved stitching with it when I managed to get my grubby hands on some. Thanks for sharing the backstory about your dye selection. So do you now have formulas to dye the “new” DMC colors 1-35? I havent’ checked yet if some of your existing purples/violets already correspond to those in that newer line. You were probably ahead of DMC in filling in the gaps in the purples and grays and browns…

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I do not!! Veena harassed me over the years to do so but I ignored her and now I’m behind the curve.

Vikki
      who is not going to say Veena was right

lyarrow
      Participant

What drew me to Vikki’s silks was the lower cost compared to everyone else. And then the standard/new combos that were available/created became irresistible even if I didn’t have a project in mind, because I could afford the silks. I’m not a silk snob, but I do enjoy the fact that I can afford to stitch with them on the majority of my projects. And now knowing the archival quality emphasizes even more what a great value/investment they are!

Luv2stitch2

😜😜😜😜 β€œVeena harassed me” 😜😜😜😜

Sim Swank
      Participant

@lyarrow I would have loved to have collected from the very beginning. I didn’t even have an alternative hobby during those years, so much time wasted not doing needlework. Le sigh.

lyarrow
      Participant

I didn’t start buying the silks until 2007. I had a period from 2000-2008 where I didn’t stitch much because of school activities for 3 kids and also working 3 part-time jobs while going back to college for a different degree….all at the same time. I was too exhausted! And now the kids are gone, work life is less stressful, and stitching is fun again. πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by lyarrow.
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by lyarrow.
      Sim Swank
      Participant

@lyarrow You were a busy mama! I don’t remember what I was doing exactly from 2000 to 2014 lol…aside from working and then getting married, then working some more. πŸ˜†

@VikkiHDF When did you start your HDF silks business, if you don’t mind me asking?

Sim Swank
      Participant

Oh duh…attention to detail. You did say “over 22 years ago…” πŸ™ƒ

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Yes I started on Ebay over 22 years ago (I’ve been with Paypal since it was invented!!!) and then had a free web site after dropping Ebay after a few months. I did stitching and crazy quilt shows all over the country and sold off that site till I started my first real web site in 1998. That was the one I had till it finally crashed. By then stitching shows were long over and we moved to yarn and yarn shows.

Vikki
      who loves a wild ride

Sim Swank
      Participant

The wildest ride is now that you’re back with stitchers in the Amazon Prime generation amidst a global pandemic. Eek! But so glad we can buy your silks again! I dabbled in knitting but never did get hardcore into it.

RobininVirginia
      Participant

And it is these conversations that I have missed since Vikki’s web site crashed. I love learning the ins and outs through Vikki’s sharing of information plus the friendships that have come about through stumbling into the scene of HDF.

Sim Swank
      Participant

@RobinInVirginia I’m so happy I can participate now. I love learning the history as well, and interacting with like-minded stitchers. Nice to meet you!

lyarrow
      Participant

@robininvirginia , pretty sure you and I met through the HDF site/forums! πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by lyarrow.
      RobininVirginia
      Participant

@lyarrow , I believe we met through the HDF site and then caught up again on the old EZ board forums.

@sims
      , it is nice meeting you here.

Jcash
      Participant

So interesting to hear the journey through the years of dying. I swear I have no clue why some wash their pieces while using hand dyed fibers.πŸ™„ I will never, but mine are never dirty. I treat them like gold.
      I found out about Vikki’s silks through asking stitchers what color they used on a certain piece. Always the same answer…HDF silk name β€˜XXX’?? Can’t get it anymore; she stopped dying. Got really infuriating because the colors were/are amazing!!

I do agree @lyarrow that the prices are much better and you can buy in a higher quantity without goofed up dye lots.

Also….I can’t believe @sims, that you were NOT around when she was dying?? Dang girl! Did you surgically hunt the boards for resales??? πŸ˜‚ Good work!
      So now I’m here and hubby has been warned I intend to buy so no worries there. 🀣🀣

hkl9066
      Participant

I too have so missed these types of conversations on the forums. I learned SO much here and really missed the sense of community.

@robininvirginia
      it is good to see you again! I was keiko9066 on the old forum. I am in Northern VA.

@lyarrow
      I remember you from the old forum as well! You made this one comment when the Primitive Barn series first came out that I’ll never forget, it was something like, not sure I’ve ever seen a purple barn before, but what the heck. I’m so glad that you are doing well and that you have more stitching time now.

RobininVirginia
      Participant

@hkl9066 it is good to see you again. I remember the user name, keiko9066, from the old board. I am located north of Charlottesville and south of Culpeper.

I got on the HDF wagon officially after a gathering (someone hosted it at a “clubhouse” with Vikki and Lauren of Sassy’s Fabbys) in the Alexandria area. I really went for the fabrics (and to pick up an order) and came away with a some silks and the HDF board information.

lyarrow
      Participant

@hkl9066, lol! You are right….we are a family of farmers and even though we have a lot of K-State purple, the only ones likely to have purple barns around here are the “hobby” farmers. Great to catch up with you again!

Sim Swank
      Participant

@jcash I learned about HDF from the very early days of Flosstube when Organic Granny then Abi Bellastitch started showing some on their videos and I was like, what is that floss on cute spools? Then I got in on the destash action on Stash Unload. 😁

hkl9066
      Participant

@robininvirginia I remember that gathering at Mindy’s clubhouse, but sadly I missed it. I think I was out of town. Perhaps when it is safe to gather again, we can convince Vikki to do another gathering, or another open house at her factory in PA? Did you attend that? It was wonderful.

@lyarrow
      yes I loved your comment about purple barns! So great to catch up with you!

I think @sims has been such a diligent collector that her collection is larger than mine!

Maureen in Canada
      Participant

Okay, since we’re talking history here, I have to share mine!
      Somehow I found Vikki’s site/forum, hmmm, circa 2012. That year, my friend and I drove to Lancaster, PA from Ontario, Canada for a needlework show. The name escapes me, but it was a great exhibit! I remember we stayed at the Eden Inn & our wonderful American neighbours on the forum helped us get a deal on our hotel stay. Ahhh, such beautiful memories to recall.
      Alas, I’m thrilled to see Vikki back & to have this forum (oh how I’ve missed the fun of the d-bags)!!!!!

RobininVirginia
      Participant

@hkl9066 I missed out on Vikki’s open house in PA. Perhaps down the road, another one will be held.

Hello my friend from the north, @xsquilter .

Sim Swank
      Participant

@hkl9066 Lol, I even have some of yours. Remember you let me buy a couple of OMOT Heart jumbos with the mesh spool holders? I’ve been saving those for something special. 🀩

@xsquilter
      Hi Maureen, I hope you and our other Canadian friends can get in on this action soon. Unless you still have a pretty comfy stashh to tide you over. 😊 Nice to meet you!

Jcash
      Participant

Nice to see fellow Virginians! I’m in South Eastern Coast, Va!

@robininvirginia
      …we used to love driving up to Northern VA and then start down hitting wineries all down through the state… and @robininvirginia… We always loved going through Charlottesville and Culpepper! We had a favorite B&B in Orange VA we stayed at. I’m pretty sure it closed down years ago.

@xsquilter
      … ditto was @sims said! Nice to meet you and hope Vikki can open up Canada soon.

Luv2stitch2

keiko9066 <——- NOW I know who @hkl9066 is! Amazing how board names stick with us. πŸ™‚

hkl9066
      Participant

LOL, @luv2stitch2 I should have stuck with the same name! If I had known there would be so many old timers on the forum, I would have. (kicks herself).

infinite_needle
      Participant

I was HasturTorres in the forum and the old stitching boards. However, my Hastur, the sweetest and funniest Dachshund, died due to complications from old age and I retired that name.

CristinG
      Participant

I agree with Barbara about how user names stick with us and I remember so many of you! I am simple and use the same user name when I can….much easier to remember!
      During our hiatus, I was able to keep in touch with a few friends I made here (the old board) and even was able to exchange some stash.
      I have become very good friends with one of the ladies I met here and am grateful for her every day.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

What great great memories!!! Thanks!

Vikki

RobininVirginia
      Participant

@cristing I remember you organizing the Christmas card exchange a few years. Plus sending you flower thread.

I tend to be simple as well with Robin in Virginia since I signed comments to blog and stitching board posts that way.

lyarrow
      Participant

I have no idea what my user name was back then! As I get older, I have learned to keep things simpler because that really helps with recall. So now it’s the same user name everywhere. And I did get warm fuzzies when this board started again and I recognized many names. πŸ™‚

CristinG
      Participant

Yes, Robin….you were one of the people I was referring to… πŸ™‚

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.