Any Possiblity of Floss Sets For..

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Any Possiblity of Floss Sets For..

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Stitcher Vix
      Participant

In the future, would there be the possibility of offering limited editions of floss sets for particular samplers?

I have noticed that shops are putting together silk floss sets for samplers from HATS, Scarlet Letter, etc. and would love if you could offer sets also!

Sitting and waiting with bated breath and ready to duck in case you throw a 100 kilos of silk at my head!

skrieser
      Participant

As long as it’s already dyed in pretty colors, is that so bad?

ggggaea
      Participant

What about Jane Harth? Love this palette:

Jane Harth 1868 ~ A Little Gem

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I have literally debated far into the night on this exact question. It’s not the dyeing but it’s how do I ensure that the amount of kits I’d need to make would be sold?
      It’s really really difficult to dye less than 13 micros or 3 minis. I’m not saying impossible but I am saying WOOF.
      If you’re doing a conversion kit you REALLY need to dye all the colors at the same time. That’s why the FOTM is so good this way – all the colors are runs, from the same dye lot. Once you start mixing dye lots it’s an entirely new kettle of fish.
      So therein is the real question – how do you get enough people to buy the conversion to make it dye-able?

Vikki

Stitcher Vix
      Participant

Could the sets be offered in a forum call by sampler name and operate like the mini forum?

Jcash
      Participant

Vikki, you are so right. I think most of these sites only make them up in full for NEWER CHARTS. That gives you the excitement as everyone wants that new kit! Then most have the luxury of offering silks brands that are already in Established lines that WILL SELL eventually even if not for that chart. It’s not quite the same for Vikki. PLUS most of them pre-sell with the soon to be offered new chart. So you order and that gives them an idea of how many are wanted. Most don’t charge you fully until it gets sent out, but THAT also has its issues with people changing their minds and not paying later.

If I were Vikki doing this I’d probably want a guaranteed minimum order. Maybe even somehow PRE-PAID? If not the whole amount but enough to hold the place….and make it NON refundable…UNLESS you can sell your spot to another person.

Honestly it’s tough. For you Vikki, it’s putting out the time, effort, silks, dye and all with no guarantee that people will still buy or will nope out and say I changed my mind.

PS: that said there are a BUNCH of samplers I intend to do in HDF.😁 That’s why I buy 2 of each solid kit so I will eventually have enough to build my own kits as I wish.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

OMG Judy like you were in my head!
      I’d be willing to start a Pattern Forum but it would have to be at least a dozen people a pattern. I’d not do the conversion and of course you’d have to figure out when you post how many micros it needs, and if it’s 1 over 2 or 2 over 2…. I can see it working but it would be a lot of work for whoever put up the initial call….

Vikki

Jcash
      Participant

That might work…. although my particular conversion would be very different from what others might want the colors to be. For example: I don’t care for baby pinks. Anything verging towards Mauve/dusty pinks would be a NO!🤢 Especially when mixed with country blues. I lived through THAT era once. I won’t survive another trip…😵

It would be something like auditioning your color choices and the amounts needed and waiting for a minimum of 12 people to buy into your choices (Or enough that they pull the trigger). For greedy me… I might actually buy some kits even if I had to swap out colors I didn’t care for. Just to have the colors. 😆😍

maestraxanth
      Participant

I would have no problem creating a conversion from the charted DMC for a sampler I really want then posting it to a forum. There are at least 2 HATS pieces and a couple of GigiR samplers I’m not buying because they need 20-25 different colors and I only want to stitch in silks!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by maestraxanth.
      Stitcher Vix
      Participant

I am not one to keep a lot of floss on hand but I have several samplers I would like to stitch. Like a poster mentioned above, many call for more than 20 colors each and multiple skeins of several colors. I miss being able to order as needed. It wouldn’t work for me to wait 2 years or so for the FOTM to include all of the colors while ordering 3 or 4 sets each month just to have enough threads for samplers that take more than 1 or 2 skeins of a color.

It was worth a shot to ask and I can see the difficulty in finding 12 buyers for a set. Converting the colors wouldnt be hard nor any different than the process of converting and placing orders before. However, it is clear not everyone may want to use the same colors and some may want premium or super fine floss depending upon the fabric choices they make.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Yeah. I wish we could go back to carrying all the colors in all the flosses again. Heck even just carrying all the colors!

Vikki

Jackie
      Participant

I think if the flosses are for popular sampler SALs, new releases etc, that enough interest could be gathered!

Stitcher Vix
      Participant

I think it’s too soon for sackcloth and ashes so I will keep a positive thought. 😃

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

Just keep me posted if you want me to start a micro forum or pattern forum.
      Either would have to go to 13 to get dyed. No exceptions. Unless it gets piggybacked on to some color I’m dyeing anyway.

Vikki

maestraxanth
      Participant

I vote for a chart conversion set forum!

davesgirl226
      Participant

Maybe if we start with a popular HATS pattern that has fewer colors to try it out?

Margo58
      Participant

I think a forum for conversions is a great idea! For many patterns, the designer lists the DMC options. One way a conversion could be set up is to simply be a straight conversion from the listed DMC, if the file with the conversion between HDF and DMC still available. In my experience, the conversion was pretty good.

I would be happy to pre-order and pre-pay for a set of threads for a given sampler pattern with the knowledge that the conversion would be scrapped if not enough people are interested.

I think there should be a deadline to meet the minimum number of orders.

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

It probably would be a million times easier to get your numbers with a micro forum though…

Vikki

Stitcher Vix
      Participant

The micro forum is a good idea, especially for designs that don’t have a lot of colors. I would be disappointed if a sampler needed 30 colors and I couldn’t get half of them. But the odds would be better for a design with fewer colors.

It would also be nice if when the calls were started, the name of the chart would be given. We could then look at the chart and decide if we wanted to join in and get the threads.

ggggaea
      Participant

Hi Vikki – I would LOVE to start a Micro Forum!!! What do I need to do?
      Tx, Gia

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I’m going to take this to it’s own thread.

Vikki

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.