Another UFO

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Another UFO

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Veena

Another UFO. Why do we lose interest in a project? For me personally, it happens when I allow my eyes to be the sole decision makers in what I choose to stitch. A design *looks* gorgeous, so I want to stitch it. Big mistake! In the end, your brain and hands also have to cooperate 🀣 In this case, they got tired of changing colors in the border. The border had sucked me in, but now I hate it. Lesson learnt.

What have your UFOs taught you? Please share your stories and pics.

It is a gorgeous sampler though and I wish I could summon the enthusiasm to finish it. Marquoir Elise by Marie-Francoise on 48ct Gander linen.

CristinG
      Participant

I have a similar issue with a WIP/UFO I pulled out again a few weeks ago.
      It’s done in DMC, but it’s actually the reason I found out about HDF. The designer provided two thread listings, but I was too lazy and went with the DMC. It’s a geometric pattern with too many stops and starts and too much repetition.
      It’s a shame, because I really like the purple lugana it’s on.

csogle
      Participant

Fir your consideration:

When working on a project with lots of color changes (actually most of the time), I load needles with all the colors as I go to have them ready for the few needed stitches, then the next color is ready to grab and go. There are tools made to hold the needles, but you can use an extra copy of the floss symbol list on top of a small painter’s canvas, or sponge, or box top… This helps me a lot. Maybe it will be for you, too!

https://www.123stitch.com/item/Pako-Floss-Organizer/PAKO-705060

Kathy Wilson
      Participant

Veena that’s a gorgeous sampler, but I can see how the border would get tedious! It looks like it goes on forever. It’s repetitive enough that a couple of slightly variegated threads could have had the same effect. It really is pretty though!

I had a UFO up until the end of last year ~ the Petit Sampler Rouge by Louison (2008). I think that’s what it was called. I started it over 1 on 28 count linen and disliked it almost from the start. I couldn’t get my stitches to lay right and they would keep slipping behind the threads. The Ex. Ox Blood silk was so pretty that I kept on with it, then put it down after only part of the border was finished. I picked it up again last summer and vowed to finish it. I made myself stitch 2 lengths of threads on it before working on other pieces I liked more. I’m glad I did…but lesson learned. Our stitching time is too short to fight with something our fingers and minds don’t enjoy.

Kathy Wilson
        Participant

The Petit Sampler Rouge by Louison. Started Oct 3,2010 and more than likely put away Oct 4, 2010. Stitched on 28 count Spun Sugar Cashel linen by Sassy’s Fabbys 1 X 1 with Ex. OX Blood. Pulled back out last summer and finished Nov. 2019.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Kathy Wilson.
      lyarrow
      Participant

I have sooooooo many UFO’s and as previously mentioned, some of them are 20 years old. I don’t like working on a single project or even a few projects. When I’m ready to stitch, I pick from one of 12 currently active projects. It varies depending on my mood, what colors I want to work with, how much I want to concentrate, etc. And even my UFO’s still have good memories associated with them, even if I never finish them. One that is 18 years old is a Paula Vaughn design. I started it on a New Year’s Eve when all of our extended family was at the in-laws, my kids were being well entertained, and I just wanted time to myself. So while everyone else was socializing, I came home, picked a peaceful pattern, and stitched in the new year. When I see this UFO, this peaceful memory comes back. I still think I will finish it some day, but I’m also not concerned if I don’t. I do have a goal of finishing more of the UFOs this winter/spring since covid still has us slowed down. πŸ™‚

RobininVirginia
      Participant

Veena, your sampler is lovely. I can see why the border is a pain though with all its color changes. While I like the look, I know I wouldn’t want to stitch it.

Kathy, your Petit Sampler Rouge is stunning. I don’t mind a little over one, but I would have changed out fabrics to stitch it over 2 because that is how I roll.

I don’t have any ancient WIPs or UFOs. I either salvaged the fabric and threads for other projects or gave the whole kit and caboodle to someone who wanted it.

Luv2stitch2

Oh my Veena…I had forgotten about this stunning wip of yours. Adore it and the colors are so lovely!

What if you found an appropriate specialty stitch for the bottom and called it finished? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Veena

@luv2stitch2, maybe when I am in the mood to punish myself I will open it up and see what can be done with it. For now, I will maintain safe distancing from this WIP.

Luv2stitch2

Just trying to give you an innocent reason to peruse charts/magazines/books in your stash. πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‚

Luv2stitch2

*usually leads to a new wip though… πŸ™ƒ

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.