Anna Sophia Bircham, anyone?

Shop Forums HDF Forums Chat Forum Anna Sophia Bircham, anyone?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      maestraxanth
      Participant

I really *REALLY* want to stitch Anna Sophia Bircham 1871 from Hands Across the Sea Samplers BUT! It needs THIRTY (30!) skeins of silk!

Given the umpteen zillion dollars I have spent on Soie d’Alger and Needlepoint Inc. Silk while Vikki was gone (*SOB*) I really want to stitch this in HDF!

I just want to get an idea if anyone else would be interested in a straight from DMC conversion to HDF silk package for this sampler so we can try it in a forum post.

We need 13, so who else besides me wants to try this?

Anna Sophia Bircham 1871

davesgirl226
      Participant

I’m in.. following 🙂

skrieser
      Participant

I have Anna already so I’m game.

maestraxanth
      Participant

Here is a straight conversion from DMC, in case anyone is interested in checking it out. (And I mis-spoke– it’s only 29 spools/skeins for 1 strand on most counts, not 30.)

It uses threads from really pretty color families that seldom get used for repro. Samplers like Oeillet, Venus Mirror, and Luteous Green.

Anna Sophia Bircham
      DMC HDF
      928 ~ Grey green ~ very light *** Steelies 2447

3852 x 2 ~ Straw ~ very dark *** Liquid Gold 4177

926 ~ Grey green ~ medium *** Steelies 2451

892 ~ Carnation ~ medium *** Oeillet 1205

3753 ~ Antique blue ~ ultra very *** Magpie Tears 2341

677 ~ Old gold ~ very light *** Haywains 4125

730 ~ Olive green ~ very dark *** Sea Wrack 3435

223 ~ Shell pink ~ light *** Quince 1407

224 ~ Shell pink ~ very light *** Quince 1403

931 ~ Antique blue ~ medium *** Magpie Tears 2347

422 ~ Hazelnut brown ~ light *** Haywains 4127

932 ~ Antique blue ~ light *** Magpie Tears 2345

895 ~ Hunter green ~ very dark *** Luteous Green 3259

3328 ~ Salmon ~ dark *** Gandy Dancer 1109

816 ~ Garnet *** OMG Red 1147

902 x 2 ~ Garnet ~ very dark *** Winter Berry 1431

3862 ~ Mocha beige ~ dark *** Quern Stones 5167

3350 ~ Dusty rose ~ ultra dark *** Venus Mirror 1309

975 ~ Golden brown ~ dark *** Ochre 4409

3011 ~ Khaki green ~ dark *** PennyWort 3447

782 ~ Topaz ~ dark *** Cerveza 4145

371 x 3 Mustard *** Brass Tacks 3453

844 ~ Beaver grey ~ ultra dark *** Night Smoke 5311

3809 ~ Turquoise ~ very dark *** AquaMarine 2439

520 ~ Fern green ~ dark *** Kail 3365

814 ~ Garnet ~ dark *** OMG Red 1151

Veena

This is such an exquisite sampler! I hope you get to the magic 13 and then maybe we can do an HDF HATS SAL!

hkl9066
      Participant

You might consider posting a notice on the FB group Our Sampler Years – Yesterday’s Needlework for Today, as there are lots of HATS stitchers in that group.

-Heather

Veena

Great idea! Especially as there seems to be a long wait everywhere for other silks.

hkl9066
      Participant

Maybe if someone with a full set of micro could show the set of colors, that would be even better enticement. I would be happy to do this, but I’m currently on the road and sadly separated from my stash.

-Heather

Margo58
      Participant

I would be interested in HDF silks for that project.

Veena

I am away from home but I can try to take a photo by this weekend.

Whoever posts over there though must be careful to explain how a micro forum works. And inform new folks not to search for the set in the web shop. Might be good to iron out the wrinkles here before posting over there.

Jcash
      Participant

@Veena ….makes a very good point. Get your post perfect here first before posting and make sure they understand that once they commit they must follow through and purchase.

Now I’m down with MAYBE just getting a set just to have the colors for my stash…

The design is pretty but waaay too colorful for my tastes. I prefer the antique look of the fronts. Nicola uses the back to find the brighter colors. So I’d personally kit it using colors that were only 1/2 or 1/3 of the color saturation, but that’s totally just ME.

@maestraxanth
      … I think you were right with 30. I counted 26 “colors” but 30 spools total. Two colors call for (2) spools and one calls for (3) spools. But maybe you adjusted for the yardage differences. 😊

hkl9066
      Participant

@veena, @jcash – I’m happy to make the post on the FB group, but I agree that the Micro Forum needs to be set up and the listing/listings need to be established (with photos) before I post, with explicit information/explanations. This weekend or after is fine.

If possible, I think it will be easier to have one Micro Forum listing for the entire floss set for the sampler. I realize this is not ideal for people who might be interested in jumping in for some of the colors, but not all, but I think that for potential forum newbies, it will make a huge difference for them to not have to search for 26-30 forum listings and then have to go back and make 26-30 notes in their cart when they check out.

It also helps me to explain to them, “Find the forum posting HATS Anna Sophia Bircham set” rather then find colors #1 through #26. Do you think one listing would be possible?

-Heather

midniterose58
      Participant

I’m in for this!

Jcash
      Participant

@hkl9066…Yes, I totally agree!! Of course Vikki can weigh in here… @handdyedfibers_l7nu4k and let us know… but I think keeping the colors as a “SET” would be easier than having Anna S Bircham #1/26. Most of the websites selling kits and floss packs do the same. It’s the floss kit in whole or nothing. But either way works.

Of course I still MAY buy the color set just to have the colors!!🥰 But lots of times, I’d easily just buy the ones I needed; or call them myself!

Veena

I agree it will be a pain for newcomers to call/track/order multiple micros. But with listing as a set, we are back to the pattern forum, and that limits the number of buyers. Listing individual micros makes it more accessible for general buying as well as kitting.

As a trial, perhaps start the micro forum as Vikki @handdyedfibers_l7nu4k proposed, and list the individual colors (and tag as ASB kit). For newcomers or anyone interested in the full kit, they email Vikki or another contact person, and they get added to a list. Tracking the numbers for a kit, especially a large one, can likely become rather time-consuming. Ideas on how to address highly welcome.

Veena

Alternatively, list individual colors in the micro forum, AND a set. Again we come back to tracking and counting calls, which could become a huge time-suck.

CristinG
      Participant

I don’t have a dog in this race, but can’t we do both sets and individuals? Maybe people could state here a few patterns they wish to kit up to give Vikki and the mods and idea of how many different sets may be on the horizon and then a conversion would be posted and carried over as a set to the new Micro Forum?
      It’s a win for those who don’t want a mini for each color in the large samplers…

Veena

@cristing, the micro forum is a given as Vikki is moving forward with it. Simple micro forum would be the most straightforward to manage (in terms of keeping count, etc). It satisfies general buyers as well as those who want to kit in micros. We are discussing whether to put up the listing as a full kit. I feel this may limit the buyers as not everyone might want the full kit, and as Vikki said before, it will be easier to hit the required numbers with a micro forum.

If we put it as both kit and individual micros, the work involved in keeping track of numbers has the potential to be staggering. I doubt either Vikki or the mods have the bandwidth to take this on.

Of course, caveat to all this is that finally it is Vikki’s decision. The less time she spends in spreadsheets, the more time she has to dye, which is a win-win 🤣

CristinG
      Participant

Yes, Veena, I agree that we most certainly do NOT want to keep Vikki from her dye pots!

hkl9066
      Participant

What if kits were only available for a certain window of time? This way kit sets, like SALs, would have a time window associated?

Also, what if there was a volunteer who took on the task of administering the kit spreadsheet? Sort of like I volunteered to take on the FOTM mini forum postings because I selfishly wanted minis of the FOTM but knew that Vikki was too overwhelmed to manage the postings with everything else she had going on? That frees up Vikki/mod time and would enable the SAL/kit administration to be run separate from the individual micro listings.

Perhaps the kit spreadsheet could be posted on Google drive so that Vikki and the mods could have visibility on it at all times.

Just some ideas.

-Heather

• This reply was modified 5 days, 8 hours ago by hkl9066.
      maestraxanth
      Participant

Just FYI- We already have 6 for the full kit just here.

Jcash
      Participant

Of course…For my own SELFISH reasons, I’d love the keep them all as individual calls since I know I won’t need or use all the colors. It also might help sell them to others like @sims who has a lot but is filling in bare spots… Soooo bringing in people completely separate from kitting charts. More interest = more sold = faster dyed. 👍🏻

Let me ask this question to @veena or other mods…. is there a way to make a folder INSIDE the Micro Forum (listed with the chart name) that would open and contain all 26 color calls for the titles chart??

Example:
      Micro Forum:
      – Ul violet Xxxx
      – Spinach green
      – Sophie Smith 1567
      -Color 1/26
      -Color 2/26, etc

Did I explain that right? Just another way to box them in and not let them be split apart and “lost”. But either way we are adults women. If we want silks, we will get a sheet of paper and do the work! 😂
      Everyone has good idea… I’m just ‘spitballing’ here. My brain sometimes works too hard and way too fast. 🤯

VikkiHDF
      Keymaster

I certainly think there isn’t any problem with a micro forum carrying full pattern sets and micro colors. As long as the title is complete and they know what they’re getting it should be straight forward.
      I’m not moderating it. Period. And Barb and Veena aren’t either (cause I’m not sure where I get that authority but whatever).
      So at the simplest YOU would be responsible for what you post in there. You’d have to open the thread (whoever you are), with exactly the color OR the pattern with all the colors and the number of micros listed. It would help if you said This 23 micro set would include Blah Blah 2 Blah Blah. Or this is for Blah 2289 micros.
      Cause at some point I have to dye this. I look at the first post and that’s where the info comes from for me. It’s helpful if someone adds as it’s going cause then at least everyone knows where in the order process it is. If it’s your post, you can of course call for other people if they don’t want to (from other boards). Pretty much how the Mini Forum runs.
      At some point it closes. Right now we’re waiting till it’s languishing a good week, Barb posts a Last Call someplace, and then messages me to know there are closing threads. I go in the next day and I always close and move cause it’s the only way I can make a dye list. Because we’re waiting for the languish a good week or so, it’s almost impossible to tell for me when that week is up cause I see the same thing you do – the last post date, and not the last call.
      We would need a micro forum, and then a closed micro forum. Easy – I have that power.
      We can do this so that each person is responsible for their own thread through this process and see how that works. There can also be a mod for the forum, or two.
      All we can do is float it. It lives or it dies, it floats or it sinks.

Listed.

Vikki

• This reply was modified 5 days, 3 hours ago by VikkiHDF.
      Veena

Fantastic! Thank you, Vikki.

Jcash
      Participant

@hkl9066 Heather, I don’t mind taking on the Chart kits on the Micro board as long as the person who wants the kit gets me all the info, chart key, etc. I have the file for matching the DMC. SOME I might already own, but contrary to what it might seem like, I don’t always buy the all the samplers. Hard to fathom I know , but I miss some. 🤣😂

I’m perfectly fine with keeping up with the micro board set calls and individual calls to keep the numbers current. I still do that with my own mini calls…checking the number count and editing the subject line so Vikki can see how many are called.

You would have to let me know how the spreadsheet works for this forum and what to do so it worked for Vikki and the mods. I keep a notebook now for all my calls and then then a CART list when I move them over as they’re dyed. Keeps me from missing anything!! But I’m up for it.

VikkiHDF
        Keymaster

All you really would need to do is check the posts and mark spam (if you’re a mod you can see a Spam button designation above each post that you just click so it hides that post from everyone else), count any calls that have changes from the day before and keep track of when the last call was, so we know when it’s sitting around. None of that NEEDS a spreadsheet of course. If you post a count when it changes you would know last call cause there isn’t any further activity. Posting a last call on the last day before closing is nice or posting a list in the forum of last calls is nice but neither are necessary to the running of the forum or to me making a dye list.
        The person who wants the conversion would start the call, just like the mini forum so they’d be responsible for everything in their first post – no mod anything needed for that. So I’m totally missing the chart kits on the micro board thing. Your title is just Blah Blah by Blah Bal – 25 micros and then your first post is the title, designer, and the conversion. Pics are good. Everyone calls on the thread who wants those…

Vikki

Luv2stitch2

🥳🥳🥳

Thanks Vikki!

🍿🍿🍿

hkl9066
      Participant

Thank you Vikki!

It sounds like Vikki might not need a kit volunteer per se, but rather separate Micro Forum mod(s) once she gets it set up.

I remember back in the day there was a skein forum, it didn’t last that long and I remember it being somewhat hard to keep up with, but maybe that was just me. Hopefully this will go smoother.

-Heather

Sim Swank
      Participant

@handdyedfibers_l7nu4k @jcash Whoa where was I? Big stuff going on here while I was gaming. 🤓 Anyhow, I can help mod the micro forum if you need assistance. One question tho on variegateds… if someone wants to kit a pattern that calls for variegated WDW/GAST/any overdyed cottons, how are we going to recreate those colors or are we strictly using the DMC conversions listed in the chart?

VikkiHDF
        Keymaster

I literally don’t care how it’s done. I just dye what I’m told. If you want to convert everything to variegateds using DMC component colors for each one, you go with your bad a** self and get 12 other people to jockey onto your dream.

Vikki
        never one to squelch someone else’s dreams

Sim Swank
      Participant

@handdyedfibers_l7nu4k Lol got it! Thanks for opening up the micro forum as another option esp. for the newbies.

maestraxanth
      Participant

Awesome!

As soon as someone who still has their full set of Micros can get a picture of the conversion, I’ll throw Anna Sophia up on the new forum and we can start letting folks in the Facebook group know!

I think a huge selling point will be that the major silk companies are out of and can’t get more than half the colors called for in these designs right now especially in the 100/3 weight. I searched 7 online shops for the silks for Anna Sophia and could never find more than 12 of the colors available to order.

hkl9066
      Participant

@maestraxanth, I had no idea that the complete set of silks were so hard to find from other merchants. This is going to hit the community at just the right time. Hopefully someone will come through with a photo soon. I’m on the road right now and am sadly separated from my stash.

So excited to introduce more stitchers to Vikki’s silks!

-Heather

skrieser
      Participant

I can try to get a picture after work. I probably have all of them and I’ve just recently finished organizing all my solids

Jcash
      Participant

@hkl9066…. oh Heather. Even the cotton dye companies are backed up. One chart I’m waiting on just got one color they ordered a YEAR AGO! The silks are even worse!

Country Sampler said one Dyer is just filling orders from FEBRUARY!!! 😵 I guess they just closed down as most were in countries where quarantine was mandatory.

Jcash
      Participant

@handdyedfibers_l7nu4k……I like you Vikki!!!😂

Yeah after reading Vikki’s response, I realized I was actually wrong. I said before I had the files and could convert. Wasn’t thinking! It’s the stitcher who will decide “however” they want their conversion and then do the one to one…..Solids or variegate or both. Then they just post the Set and go from there. Works for me.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 6 hours ago by Jcash.
      • This reply was modified 4 days, 6 hours ago by Jcash.
      Luv2stitch2

NOTICE:

After some final calculations, the number of kits or micros needed is 14.

hkl9066
      Participant

@davesgirl226 @skrieser @midniterose58 and anyone else who is interested – FYI, the kit listing is up in the Micro Forum!

I’m going to make the announcement on the Our Sampler Years FB group soon as it is Market Weekend now (thanks @Veena for the heads up) and I’m going to be without FB for most of the weekend and it’d be great for there to be a few calls on the listing so that newbies have an idea how it works.

Let’s make this a huge success for Vikki!

Thank you.

CristinG
      Participant

And I posted it on the only other xs board I go to….I don’t do social media, but also want to get the word out to people who may not know. 🙂

maestraxanth
      Participant

Heads up in case you missed it! Anna Sophia’s conversion kit has been listed in the Conversion kit/Micro forum. Make sure to call yours!

Anna Sophia Bircham 1871 ***KIT***

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.