Silk Packets
Silk Ribbon->
Silk Chenille
Silk Perle
Stitching Fabrics
Misc.->

Custom Product Builder

Search

Use keywords to find the product you are looking for.

Menu

· Home
· Articles&Information
· Encyclopedia
· Fabulous Floss Toss
· Floss Calculator
· Floss Converter
· Forums
· Forum Gallery
· Gallery
· Guest Book
· Help/Contact Us
· Links To Great Sites!
· Model Stitchers
· Points Bank
· Points Shop
· Questions&Answers
· Stitching Wiki
· Blogs
· Your Account

Product Reviews

Lovely medium-tone,&nb-
sp;muted s-
late blue - great fo ..

5 of 5 Stars!

Hand Dyed Fibers :: View topic - Needle Needs - Millenium frames and floor stand
 AlbumAlbum  Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Needle Needs - Millenium frames and floor stand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hand Dyed Fibers Forum Index -> Just Chatting - Stitching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vetti74

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Needle Needs - Millenium frames and floor stand Reply with quote

Hi everyone...I was just wondering if any one has used the Millenium frame from Needle Needs - they come from the UK and are fairly expensive (once you convert to Aussie $$).

I am seriously thinking about ordering a set of the frames and the floor stand but wanted to get some opinions before I spend heaps on them.

Thanks in advance.

Yvette
Vix
Silk Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you generally use scroll rods for your stitching?

I have a product very similar to the Millenium Frame that I bought several years ago. It was called the Freedom Frame from Cleopatra's Needle. The company has since been sold and/or closed.

I don't use the Freedom Frame as often but it was helpful for a large piece I was stitching and it was a little easier to keep the tension tight on the sides of the fabric than with some other scroll rods. (It was used to stitch the middle 3 inches or so of a piece about 27 inches long.) However, rolling the fabric straight was a problem for me as well as keeping the fabric from tearing or stretching out of shape when trying to tighten the sides. I have not been able to use it for canvas work at all like some other stitchers.

In the long run, stretcher bars work better for me. I can get the tension I need and they can be held with most floor stands and lap stands (or just propped on a table).

What other stands are readily available where you live? I have been most happy with the K's Ultimate Stitch Station for larger projects (20 inches x 20 inches or larger) because it has two arms and both the Needlework System 4, Lowery, and K's Stainless stands have worked well with small to medium projects for me. They all flip from front to back and can adjust to many positions. I can stitch with the piece in front of me or on either side.

The stand I use depends upon the size of the project and where I am stitching. Some work better with various chairs or sofas than others. Some are easy to travel with and work well in most hotel rooms or class settings.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the Millenium Frame specifically.

My Album
Vetti74

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vix

Thanks very much for your reply. I generally use scoll frames and my Dad make me a lap stand for them years ago. I have somehow managed to split the wood on scroll frame (not sure how) and the lap stand is falling apart and unfortunately Dad is no longer around to make a new one!

There seems to be really limited availability of both decent frames and stands in Australia - of course I may not be looking in the right places! But I saw a review of the Needle Needs stand and having done a bit of online research, I think it is what I am after.

I am currently working in hand with a hoop frame but it isn't really working for me - I can't seem to get the tautness I want in the fabric and I can't stitch for long periods as my holding hand gets sore! Hence the need for a floor stand that I can use sitting on the sofa AND use both hands to stitch - again the Needle Needs one seems to fit the bill.

The cost of just over $300AUD for the stand and frame(s) will be worth it IF it works like it looks to work!

Thanks again,

Yvette
nurseloon
Silk Trendsetter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the video for the Millennium Frame, and it surely looks to be a terrific idea (http://www.needleneeds.co.uk/store/). Mary Corbet wrote a review on it, and many people wrote responses to that review: http://www.needlenthread.com/2011/11/millenium-embroidery-frame.html. It sounds wonderful to me! I've been contemplating buying one for myself. Carolyn
Vetti74

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carolyn

Thanks for posting the link - that's where I saw the review originally but i couldnt remember!! It intrigued me enough to do some further research!! It does look fantastic and I haven't really found anything else locally to compare to it... I think I am going to have to shell out the $$$ for the Needle Needs one!!! I wil let you know how it goes when I order and receive it.

Thanks again

Cheers, Yvette
lani
Silk Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few of the Millenium frames, and they do work wonderfully, just as advertised. I have the floor stand, but haven't used it yet. You can get great tension, and it is easy to attach fabric to the frame. No need for basting or an adhesive. They are pricey with the conversion from British Pounds, but for me they have been the best frame I've used.

Lani
jlee
Silk Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yvette,

If you haven't ordered yet, you may want to check out K's Creations. I have the floor stand and various lap frames and can not live without them. www.kscreations.com
Whatever you get, enjoy it!

J. Lee
Vetti74

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi J.Lee, thanks for your suggestion and the link. The thing that really appealled to me about the Millenium frame is that there is no basting / sewing to the scroll frame which seems to me to be a bonus!

Thanks again for everyones comments.
Cheers, Yvette
Tim
Silk Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought these while I was living in UK and really love them. Since moving back to Australia, I have purchased more side extension bars from them via post. It didn't take very long either. Also being out of Europe, you do get the 17% VAT off on check out. So they aren't as expensive.

The frames do provide excellent tension in compare to other scroll frame, I really like the twist to stretch the fabric, I used it on most of my BAP. And it's very easy to change projects. I highly recommend them.

The scroll bars are actually very easy to make, if you know someone with a router table. I have made a few myself. The side bar are difficult to reproduce.
Vetti74

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I have ordered the Needle Needs frame...will let you all know how it goes when it arrives!

Thanks again

Yvette
Zandon

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the VAT rate 20% now? Glad I left the country before that lol

I don't know about the larger Millennium frames, but I had the little wizard one and gave it away as it was just a pain in the backside - getting the bars even and having to disassemble the whole thing to wind it up one roll and so on. The bars that go in the slots would also often fall out while I was trying to wind it up which was just aggravating as then I'd have to start again.

I much prefer the scroll rods with the plastic clips along the length - again no sewing or gluing or anything, so easy to adjust the fabric and swap projects in and out, and rolls like a normal scroll rod.

For stands I have both the Lowery (got second hand) and the System 4. I prefer the system 4 as it holds the rods at both ends so things are more stable. The Lowery kept tipping over, even with weight on the bottom - I'd have to make sure the far end of the scrolls was resting on the arm of the chair. Great for stretcher bars though. For the System 4 I did have to put screws into the ends of all my current rods as it comes with side bars that you have to use and the rods attach differently to the sort I had been using - it was that or buy all new ones, and I liked my plastic clip ones, and screws were cheaper.

All that said though - I still stitch most often in hand, and even when I use a frame I usually just use my knees to prop it up Smile

Edited to add link to the scroll bars I like - http://www.elbesee.co.uk/id10.html - they are the no sew ones at the top of the right hand column. I also really like the stretcher bars underneath them - the plastic corners just have so many advantages Smile I think they are available through Siesta frames, and I'm sure I brought some from Sew & So once upon a time.

Amanda
Stitchingbytheseashore
Silk Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my millennium frame. It does exactly what the promo video says. I am currently working with fabric that is six feet long and the frame is giving me drum tight tension all over. It is quick and easy to set up. I would highly recommend.
Vetti74

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My frame and stand just arrived...so quick from from the time of order and postage from UK to Australia in 7 days! Can't wait to get home tonight to have a play...!
Tim
Silk Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quick.

Is VAT 20% now ?
Vetti74

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is 20% - I thought out 10% GST was bad!
Display replies from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hand Dyed Fibers Forum Index -> Just Chatting - Stitching All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: